Reading lesson: Flight Delay

Learn English online - Flight Delay reading lesson cover

Read this story about a woman with some challenges finding her flight.

Flight Delay

I was walking through the airport to Gate 30 to catch my 8:30 a.m. flight when I suddenly heard this announcement on the speakers:

“Attention passengers on American Air Flight 889 to New York. The departure gate changed. The flight now leaves from Gate 12.”

“That’s my flight!” I said to myself. I looked at the flight information screens, turned around, and walked in the opposite direction. Just as I arrived at Gate 12, there was another announcement:

“This is an announcement for passengers on Flight 889 to New York. The flight is delayed due to bad weather conditions. There is currently strong wind and rain here in San Francisco and we expect that it will pass soon. Our new departure time is 10:50 a.m.”

I thought the gate agent was done, but she had another announcement to make:

“I’m afraid that Flight 889 is overbooked. We’re looking for passengers who can take a later flight in exchange for a travel voucher worth $300. Any passenger who is interested or flexible should see an agent at Gate 12.”

Oh, no, I thought. I hope I don’t get bumped from this flight. Fortunately, a few minutes later, I heard this. It was music to my ears.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we are now boarding Flight 889.”

Reading Comprehension Quiz